September 5th- Candace’s Book Blog– Chapters 1-5, pages 1-44 September 12th- Buried in Books– Chapters 6-10, pages 45-111 September 19th- Rainy Day Ramblings– Chapters 11-16, pages 112-194
- September 26th- The Flyleaf Review– Chapters 17-21, pages 195-219
Ch.17-21, pp. 195-219
1. At the party Jen’s true colors seem to re-emerge. Did you buy Jen’s earlier apology and feel that she was genuinely sorry for the way she treated Nali or did you suspect all along that she was being flase? Do you think Jen had an ulterior motive for inviting Nali (and Garrett) to her party? Was it a good idea for Nali to attend the part in the end?
I definitely never believed Jen’s apology. I think she was just trying to find more cards to play as she wasn’t going to give up. She knew that being mean to Nali was making Garrett like her less so she thought if she was nice than maybe Garrett would see her differently. I don’t think it was a good idea for them to attend the party, if they hadn’t left when they did things might have gotten ugly (er).
2. When Nali discovers her father holding her mother at gunpoint he tells her that he only wants to be a family again. He also tells Nali that her mind has been poisoned against him by her mother. Did you believe there was any truth to his words or that his feelings towards Nali were sincere at all? Do you think there is any truth to Roger’s claims of the Ianua being controlling?
Well, I think Roger believes in the words he spoke, but I don’t believe what he believes is true. I think that he built things up in his head to make himself believe he was right. And I don’t think the Ianua are controlling, but yet you can’t just go out and do your own thing when you’re in the Ianua either.
3. When Nali drops the Cornerstone in exchange for the release of her mother, it distracts Roger and Nali’s mom attempts to escape. After a struggle Evangeline is shot and killed by Roger. Do you think Evangeline intentionally sacrificed herself? Were you surprised when Roger took his own life afterwards instead of returning to the Fury with Nali? What does Roger’s suicide say about his character?
I don’t think that she was sacrificing herself, but I kind of think she may have known that her time was drawing to a close. She seemed more prepared to die, I guess. Roger’s suicide shows that he was weak and was struggling with what he felt. He loved Nali and her mother but he was trying to rationalize everything and then it went completely different then what he wanted/expected and he couldn’t deal with it. It shows he had some issues, but we already knew that.
4. After Nali’s mom is killed, she returns as Nali’s new connection replacing Grace. Did this surprise you? Do you think it “was meant to be” as Nali’s mother says?
Yes, I remember being surprised by it. But then it made sense. And it seems like she almost knew it was going to happen.
5. When Nali regains consciousness she learns from the Addo that in addition to losing her own parents, all the other Addo’s have been killed as well as Garrett’s father. Were you surprised that all these characters were killed off by the end of the book?
I was really surprised. But I like when an author isn’t afraid of pushing the limits. I hate seeing anyone die, especially such important characters, but it makes it more real and puts that extra bit of emotion into it.
6. Nali must decide whether to pick the Cornerstone back up and start the imprinting process again (which will be extremely painful and possibly life threatening) or she can choose to walk away and have a Simple life. Nali decides to pick the stone back up and become Contego. Why do you think she made this decision? Was it for vengenace? Was it for Garrett? Or do you think there is another reason? Would you have made the same decision if you had been in Nali’s place?
Nali doesn’t have another choice. At least that’s how it is for her. She has to fight with the other Contego’s to save the Ianua and what is left of them. If she were to choose a Simple life it would be like her just giving up on life altogether.
The linky is still not working on my blog so head over to Rainy Day Ramblings
to link up.